What causes swelling in throat and breathing difficulty while lying down?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi
Every time i lay down or bend over my throat swells up and i can't breathe..This as been going on for a few months now and i take lansoprazole and for the last 3 weeks i take 2 x 30mg daily and eat so well that i have lost 1 stone..I would like to know if there is any medication to take that will cure my throat as the lansoprazole don't seem to be clearing it up.....Also will it ever clear up because acid/bile is obviously going to my throat every time i lay down therefore it will prevent healing...PLEASE HELP
Posted Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you will need to change your diet!

Detailed Answer:
hello

You are suffering from gerd- which is gastro-esophageal reflux disease and this is causing the acidic contents of the stomach to come in your throat , causing swelling of the lining of your throat.

lansoprazole will only reduce the acidity , but will not reduce the reflux , therefore you will need to add those medicines like domperidone to it , these however have certain side effects and i would like you to meet your doctor before starting them.

i would like you to loose weight , stop drinking alcohol and tea,avoid spicy food and smoking and take a light dinner 2-3 hours before meals, it will help

please discuss this with your doctor.

dont worry , you will be fine!

Thanks

Follow-up: What causes swelling in throat and breathing difficulty while lying down? 14 minutes later
Hi
I tryed doperadone but it made me very drowsy so i stopped. I used to binge drink once a week untill 2 weeks ago and now i dont drink at all and i eat very well

Is it possible for this to go and if so how long roughly

Thanks for your time

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can take two to three months

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Acid reflux is a chronic condition and can take a lot of time to heal sometimes even three to four months.

Please avoid Binge drinking and meet your doctor for considering changing your medicine.

You will be fine. Dont worry

Thanks