What causes swelling in the upper lip?

Posted on Tue, 9 May 2017 in Lump
Question: I have been experiencing a feeling of swelling in my upper lip. It is not noticeable in the mirror, but I feel like my lip is causing a puffy feeling. I also notice that sometimes my upper lip sneers or droops involuntarily???
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurological or hemangioma as discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/79 - feeling of swelling in upper lip - puffy feeling - not noticeable in mirror - sometimes the upper lip sneers or droops involuntarily ...

Since there is no visible swelling or changes that you have seen in mirror, all the symptoms are suggestive of the following:
- Neurological like one gets in facial tics, involuntary sneering or drooping, can also give the feeling of swelling or puffiness.
- Or there can be an actual swelling inside like a small hemangioma or so that is not visible or perceptible and hence causing the symptoms that you have.
This can be confirmed by the following:
- Clinical examination by your Doctor.
- High resolution ultrasonography and color doppler.

Hence it is better to get an exact diagnosis so that further management can be done if required.

I hope this answers your query and helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon