• question-icon

What causes swelling in the testicles?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 81 years old. On May 17, this year, I had an operation to correct hydroceles. The affected testicle is still swollen. I have just recently noticed that my pee really stinks and
is sort of a yellow color. Do you folks know what may be causing the stinking yellow
pee? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible urinary infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

I am not sure if this is related to surgery,and swelling after hydrocele correction may persist for up to 3 months.

These symptoms are suggestive of uroinfection and this is common in your age and usually is manifested with pain during urination, fever and changes in urination frequency and urine odour.

Other common cause are urinary stones. Diagnosis is established by doing urine analysis and urinoculture and after this antibiotic treatment may be started if necessary.

If there is negative urine analysis then you should do ultrasound of kidneys to check for stones. You should drink plenty of fluids and take raspberry tea or juice to promote urination.

If testicle swelling persist after 3 months you should do testicle ultrasound with Doppler for better evaluation.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon