What causes swelling in the right leg while having diabetes?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: I sit all day. My right ankle and leg swells,but is normal in the AM. All recent blood work is fine. I do have A-Fib and Type II diabetes. i HAVE HAD THIS FOR YEARS.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
hello,
Is the swelling in one leg only and other one is perfectly fine. Is there a history of clot formation in the leg in the past, are their any dilated veins on the leg.
Considering the swelling is in the one leg, we need to think of some local pathologies. This swelling basically occurs due to retention of fluid in the leg. The first possibility in you is of problem in your leg veins. Sometimes veins are not able to carry the blood properly and lead to accumulation of fluid in the limb. And sleeping leads to reabsorption of fluid into veins leading to resolution.
You need to get some investigation done to confirm the diagnosis. You ll need Doppler ultrasound of the venous system, ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis to look for any mass compressing over larger vein and one echo of heart to rule out heart as a cause and also as a investigation to find out the cause for a fib.
In treatment, you need to restrict salt intake strictly, try to elevate your limb as much as possible and wear compression stockings. Regular exercises will also help removal of excess fluid from the legs. So you should incorporate exercise into your lifestyle. More definitive treatment would be after confirming the diagnosis.
Regarding, atrial fibrillation I guess you must be already on blood thinners to reduce the risk of clot formation in heart and stroke. so thats important from a fib point of view. Hope that helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
When you say mass and you thinking tumor? Also, I notice that both my legs seem thinner when I get up,but increase during the day. The ankle swelling is only on the right ankle. Do legs seem much thinner in the AM? Also, recent Blood tests 12/16 were all normal.

Getting very nervous.....
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
Then, it's probably involving your both lower limbs, right more than left. Then problem probably at a heart level. It's good sign that your blood tests were normal. No need to repeat those.
Don't worry, tumor is not the first possibility because you don't have any abdominal symptoms like pain, swelling of the abdomen. If it's a tumor then it's must be benign one. Because malignant tumor will not stay this long without much symptoms. So don't think about this. You should get ultrasound done, if echo is not informative.
So I think echo should be the first investigation you should undergo. You ll need the medicine called as diuretic which will remove excess salt and water out of the body and resolve your symptoms.
Thinning in the morning occurs due to same reason of excess fluid. Through out the day due to effect of gravity fluid accumulates in the legs and right sided tissue must be little loose leading to excessive fluid in the right one. It's common.
I think there is no need to worry, but we should evaluate it. It's a very common problem especially in diabetic and hypertensive patients. Patients respond very well to diuretics. And this per se has go no long term adverse consequences. You restrict your salt and liquids intake like water, tea, coffee etc. So DON'T WORRY. Keep your diabetes under control and healthy lifestyle like low fat, oily and sugar diet. Avoid refined food, instead have whole grains products. Regular exercises at 30 min a day. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.
Get back if you have any further doubts. All the best.