What causes swelling in the penis after intercourse?

Posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi,

I am 24 years old and my penis swells after having sex or masturbating. This problem started 2 months back when I had vigorous sex with my girlfriend. There would be light pain for couple of hours and the swelling disappears in 24 - 48 hrs. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Also After having sex with my girlfriend for the last time, the next day there was white dry skin under the foreskin near the head of the penis. There was lot of itching and foul smell for almost 4 days. After that it went away. I have not had sex after that, so its been almost 30 days. But whenever I masturbate there would be swelling and light pain. Can this be some kind of infection?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Delayed outflow of blood from penis,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
During erection local arteries dilate as result there is inflow of increased blood and along with this there is also constriction of muscles around veins , as a result out flow of this blood will be slowed. This maintains the erection.

As you have mentioned that the penis stays enlarged, it may be due to delayed outflow of blood from penis.
I would suggest you to see urologist or general surgeon for examination and they may ask you for colour Doppler investigation.

Second part -- it may be due to infection of glans, wash it thoroughly with cool water use mild soap like dermadew. Apply neosporin .
Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Is this serious?Do I need to undergo surgery or will it be treated by over the counter medicines?

can you also tell me all the possible results of colour Doppler investigation.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't think it is anything serious

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome
I don't think it is anything serious but I would suggest you to see urologist for examination.
Colour Doppler is done to see the blood flow through the penis and to find out is there any delay in the outflow.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Harish Naik