What causes swelling in the lower extremities during 33rd week of pregnancy?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: approx 33 weeks pregnant with 1st at 28 
preclamp was ruled out when some swelling appeared about a week ago. 
Doctor suggested I tried compression socks however the light ones were too much and regular knee highs did the trick. no swelling fr past 3 days. and then today swelling is back but confused as to what's going on 
1st] sock or no sock my left legs wants to swell at rest flat or elevated and in motion. sudden Change in motion or position helps but for just a few seconds and I noticed this the right legs stays normal only if it's down but picking that right leg up or down both knee bent and without makes the left leg swell rapidly. what's happened and why won't elevation or socks fix it like the other day. 
it was elevated when swelling 1st took place but only once at 165/149 continued to monitor and there was a steady fall. BP maintaining around 117/78 currently. preformed a CBC and iron and Vit K were low. also urinalysis was done to check for protein and it came back good. they only used doppler to check baby and bpm was 153
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Swelling of low extremities is a normal process during late pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to Healthcare magic.

I have read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Firstly I'm glad to read that doctors have excluded preeclampsia ,but while your blood pressure have been a bit high you should be under the supervision of your follow-up doctor because high blood pressure affects growth of your baby.

Hence you should check your blood pressure more frequently and do ultrasound scans to see how your baby is growing-up .

Secondly, meanwhile pre-eclampsia is excluded, swelling of low extremities at 33 weeks of pregnancy is a normal process because it is caused due the compression of big lymphatic vessels by your baby.

Try not to stand -up for a long time and when you lay down keep your legs up and put a pillow under them.

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for further discussion,

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 16 minutes later
thanks this is very helpful. I am keeping track of my BP daily and last 3 days it's been normal. however is it common to feel and see the swelling come on so rapidly that if I don't get some knee high compression socks on it goes into hands and face in less than 3 minutes my ears feel like I'm on an airplane and get light headed. today these spells have happened about 6 times while resting with feet up.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to be closely monitored

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again!

Firstly, it's a good thing that your BP is normal last three days, without any medication .

Secondly, you haven't have any proteinuria .

Hence hands, legs and facial swelling(edema) is due to pregnancy and no other reasons .

But you need to be closely monitored while you have had a slightly high blood pressure .

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for further discussion.

Best regards