Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

What causes swelling in the lingual frenulum under the tongue?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have just discoverd swelling in the lingual frenulum, the connective tissue under my tongue.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: More details required Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. There can be various reasons for development of such a swelling in the region of frenulum. I would like to know certain more details from you regarding use development of this swelling. Was it a slowly developing swelling or was it sudden in onset? Do you have any associated pain or is it painless in nature? Is the overlying skin red? Also it would be great if you can click a close up picture on the same and upload it here on this page. You can also mail the same at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I would be able to help you more once you provide me the pictures and the above details. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes swelling in the lingual frenulum under the tongue? 39 minutes later
Dr Paul-- I noticed this swelling of the frenulum this morning, amost immediately after having slipped and fallen flat on my back, having slipped on ice on the raod. It is not painful and does not appear inflamed. The center of the frenulum swelling is approximately the size of a large pea. I'm unable to photograph it! XXXX I have received a new e-mail instructing me to sign in and go to MY Dashboard to see the Dr's message. There's no new message. Pls advise
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Hematoma mouth Detailed Answer: Hi Since the swelling is sudden in onset and is painless and non inflamed, so it is more likely to be a hematoma which must have developed during the sudden trauma due to a fall. In such cases, you just need to wait and watch. It would most probably decrease with time. Just take oral vitamin c tablets for its quick resolution. But if in case, the lesion tends to increase in size or there is any associated pain or fever, then you should see a nearby dermatologist or an ent specialist. It would then be necessary to examine the lesion to rule out other less common possibilities. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor