What causes swelling in the legs and knee?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have swelling in my legs calf and both knee doctor recommended me to have below tests.

I have attached all blood reports can you please tell me the reasons for problem in my leg?

What is in my total IGE report is that increased value? I have cough from last 1 month.
Why my CBC blood report have show so many problem ?
Why my esr rate is also incresed?
My ANA is also postive?
6month back my RA factor was positive but this time it was negative?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports fairly normal..

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details posted. I would like to know some basic history of this illness.
1. How long are you suffering with the swelling?
2. Does it occur in both limbs simultaneously?
3. Is the swelling gradually worsening / improving?
4. Is it hurting?
5. Do you have this problem throughout the day or it occurs intermittently?
6. Find any factors that improves / worsens this situation?
7. Do you have chest pain, breathing difficulties or any other symptoms associated with swelling?
8. Do you have dry cough or cough with sputum?

Please answer as many questions as possible in the follow up

Answers to your questions are:

1. The total IgE value reported is absolutely within normal limits. You need not be worried about it.
2. Complete blood count revealed features of anemia (mild), probably the cause is nutritional deficiency of iron.
3. ESR may be raised probably due to anemia. However in view of ANA positive status, it needs to be evaluated further by rheumatologist.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.