What causes swelling in the leg while on Metoprolol and Clonidine?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I've been having a problem with my left calf off and on over the last several weeks. It swells up and cramps to the point I can hardly walk. Also a vein bulges out. I went to the emergency room for testing and they did not detect a blood clot. Please tell me what it could be? I'm 49yrs old smoke and drink beer regularly. On blood pressure medications metoprolol and clonidine. Thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either of Metoprolol and Clonidine are known causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Read the history and understood the concerns.
Since the tests to detect the blood clot has been negative at ER, which I hope have done ultrasound and color doppler study, the other common reason for the muscle cramps and swelling can be due to the side effects of either of the medicines you are taking for blood pressure.
Metoprolol and Clonidine- both are known to cause the muscles cramps and swelling of the calf muscles.
I would advise you the following in such a condition:
Consult your Doctor who can change over to the medication that do not cause muscle cramps and swelling and yet control blood pressure well.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early and correct diagnosis and proper treatment.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Thank Dr Chandrakant they did not perform the Doppler study you referred to but only the ultrasound at the ER. I will be seeing my doctor and ask her for changes on the medications.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Color doppler is done with the same machine, might have done.

Detailed Answer:
Fine, ultrasound can detect the clot. Dolor doppler is done with the same machine and helps detecting the blood flow.
Take care, all the best.