What causes swelling in the leg, calf and thigh?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left leg , angle and foot are swelling. I had a altra-sound on Friday, August 12, 2016 on the lower (calve) leg and ankle. Everything was okay per the report from South XXXXXXX Radiology. There is a slight tenderness behind the calve of the left leg. The shin and part of the foot are red in color. I an a 75 year old man. I work out at a gym about five days a week. I am in good health seamed. The right leg, foot and angle are okay, except they are also reddish on color. The color has been there for about a year. The swelling of the left leg, angle and foot have been like this for about a month, and keep getting larger, a little bit at a time. I can walk okay with know problems. I could be retaining a little fluid in my leg, angle and foot but know where else. If I put on a shoe, after a while the swelling is some what reduced. I know this because it is hard to get the left shoe on the left foot the first time, but after a while I can take the shoe off and put it back on in a half hour and it goes on fine. The lower leg is still a little swelling, but not as bad. There is know swelling in the thigh of either thigh or any part of the right leg, angle or foot. The lower leg, angle and foot have a normal temperature (there are not warm or hot to the touch). What is your best guest as to what my problem could be.

XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be a serious cause.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in the leg, calf and thigh with no deep vein thrombosis can be due to posture - standing on legs for a long time, high altitude, high salt intake or a mild inflammation. It is not likely to be due to any serious cause.
You should follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:
1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4) Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.
5) You can take diuretic pills after consulting your doctor to relive the edema.
If the edema persists then I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO and urine tests done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal