• question-icon

What causes swelling in the leg after brain surgery?

Posted on Thu, 2 Feb 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband has had brain surgery 11 days ago. The area they operated on was the cerebellum. However, he is doing great but the only thing is that he has leg swelling. Is that normal? It seems that none of the dry or visiting nurses are concerned. He elevates his legs, he walks around. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I have to say that leg swelling is not normal, it is not due to the surgery itself. So I think it must be looked into. If I understand correctly both legs are involved. In that case some blood tests for metabolic changes like kidney or liver problems are necessary and also his medication should be reviewed for possible drugs causing swelling as a side effect. If he has no other symptoms might be the later, it would explain why the nurses aren't worried.

If the swelling is only on one leg that is even more urgent as it could be due to deep venous thrombosis, so if there is also change in temperature (one leg warmer to touch than the other) should be seen urgently.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 8 hours later
I also didn't mention he has colon cancer for 6 years and it did metalized to his liver But his treatment h a sudden been put on the back burner until we delt with this.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional info. That could be relevant to the swelling he is experiencing. Liver involvement may be responsible for the leg swelling as the main vein taking blood away from the lower limbs traverses the liver.
So you should definitely talk to your primary doctor or the oncologist who follows your husband in order for further investigations in that direction to be considered.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist