What causes swelling in the left hip region while having colitis?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have colitis and with Meds I have kept it in control for many Years. Recently I have been experiencing a sharp pain with swelling in my left hip area front and back. This episode when it comes last for 1-3 days along with it there is tenderness to the touch and it hurts big time if I try and sleep on the left side where it is at. My VA Doctor said that my recent CT scan showed him that I had an incidental finding of a small duodenal diverticulum. I've asked him to give me greater explanation of what that is and if because of my colitis am I at greater risk. I don't trust my VA Doctor can you shine more light on this please.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be inflammatory condition of joint.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query .
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answers are-
Most likely it can be bursitis or can be a sign of ongoing early stage of arthritis.
I don’t think off and on pain at specific location of hip in a 57 year old male with tenderness and inflammation is due to gastro intestinal problem.
Arthritis and bursitis are types of inflammation.
I would recommend you to go for following base line investigations intially and then follow up with orthopedician.
X ray Hip AP and Lateral view.
ESR
CRP
RA factor
Serum uric acid

Till time tetss are done take anti inflammatory like Aceclofenac 100 mg twice daily.If pain respods to it then its very likely that its a pngoing inflammatory condition and proper investigations should be done asap.
In case you can’t get a prescription you can take Tylenol twice daily its OTC.

Follow up with reports.
Regards!