• question-icon

What causes swelling in the jaws?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: Hi, I seem to suddenly have some swelling in the area of my jaw. No pain, just swelling. It is above the jaw line, sort of in the area where one would feel TMJ pain (but again, I feel no pain. I realized it was swelling by touching it.) Thanks!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Parotid salivary gland swelling.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Please give me additional information for me to assist you better.
Since when has this started?
Does the swelling increase on eating, chewing or watch by putting salt/sugar or lemon juice in mouth?
Any definite swelling you can feel?
Noted that the swelling dissipates on massage...
Which side?
Please post clear and focussed photos as these help for on-the-spot diagnosis in some cases.

As per the history you have provided, this seems to be swelling of the Parotid salivary gland secondary to some obstruction in the duct. Hence it can be dissipated on massage but refills again.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication and give the photos and feedback I have requested for.

With Regards.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Thanks for the information. This just started this afternoon, and actually as of this moment, seems to have gone away, I don't feel or see any sort of swelling at this point. I would call what I had sort of a small sac that was filling itself up. I hope that makes sense.
There didn't seem to be any impact from chewing/eating. I was having my hair done until about 12:30 and I don't recall it showing at that time nor did my hairdresser mention anything. I had pizza for lunch which was salty but I can't tell you if it did anything or not. It was after lunch that I became aware of it when I leaned my head on my hand. It was on the left side. Posting a photo at this point would not show anything I'm afraid but if I have any more issues, I'll take a picture.
Thanks so much, having an idea of what it could be helps.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Watch for reappearance

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, photos will help only if it has a positive finding.
If the swelling reappears, I would advise you the following:
Consult your Doctor, preferably an ENT Specialist for clinical evaluation, examination and ask for high resolution ultrasonography or MRI of the affected area to get most appropriate diagnosis and a plan for management if needed.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon