What causes swelling in the hip along with knee and foot pain after injury?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Back Pain
Question: I just fell in the tub. My left hip is swollen with pain in my knee and foot. Could I have fractured my hip? It is very painful. I am 57 years old.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fracture can be present.

Detailed Answer:
After a fall the chances of bone fracture are present. If there is a considerable swelling with inability to bear weight on the leg then a fracture is highly likely.
This can be confirmed or ruled out only after an MRI scan. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal