What causes swelling in the foot and ankle while on Ibuprofen?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a 63 years old female in good health (no diabetes or hypertension). Went out for 3-4 mile walk last Monday (not an unusually long walk for me) and was wearing good walking shoes. Monday night/Tuesday morning my left foot and ankle began swelling and even with ice and watching salt in my diet it's continued to swell and is currently 1/3 the size of the other foot/ankle. The tendon in my ankle hurts even when I shuffle from place to place but that may be 'cause of favoring the foot. Last night my toes felt has though they'd "fallen asleep" and have been that way most of the day. They too are swollen. Oh yes, there is NO sign of an insect or critter bite. Doubling the amount of ibuprofen with a little bit of food seems to help as long as my foot is at rest but pain returns when I put pressure on the foot. Guess that's all - thanks for your time...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation of tendons and joint.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic, I am Dr Muhammd Ahmad, I have closely read your question and I understand your concerns, I will hereby guide you regarding your health related problem.

This doesn't seem to be edema due to heart or blood pressure which would settle with salt restriction, plus edema due to heart doesn't cause tendon of foot pain. You seem to be having foot inflammation.

Here is what I would advise you to do.

1) Give your foot good rest.
2) Keep it elevated when ever you can.
3) Rub ibuprofen or Voren topical over it.
4) Wrap crepe bandage.
5) Keep taking ibuprofen.
6) Ideally you should get your Uric acid levels checked.
7) Read about foods which raise uric acid in body and avoid them if you dont get the levels done.
8) With good rest and care this should get better on 4..5 days if it doesn't then I would advise you to visit your doctor to get a complete checkup and investigations if your doctor deems necessary.

I hope this answered your question, if you have more feel free to ask,otherwise close the discussion and rate it.

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.
General and Family Physician..