• question-icon

What causes swelling in the feet while on Atorvastatin and Valsartan?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: How can I treat adema caused by sodium
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diuretics, sodium restriction...

Detailed Answer:

if heart failure is the underlying cause then diuretics and sodium restriction should help a lot. You haven't mentioned your medical history or the drugs you're using so I can't suggest anything more specific than that. Sodium restriction means that you should not add salt to your food and also avoid salted food like salami, cheese, too much bread, etc

There are 3 main types of diuretics for such cases. Thiazides and similar drugs is the first one. Hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) is a commonly used drug particularly in combination with various antihypertensives.
Furosemide is the main drug of the second type. It's very effective to quickly remove excessive water from the body and reduce peripheral swelling due to heart failure.
Spironolactone is another (less potent) diuretic which helps in advanced heart failure as an adjunct to the other drugs.

If the cause is different (for example cirrhosis, nephrotic syndrome, etc) then the approach might be different as well.

I hope you find my comments helpful! I'll be glad to discuss this further with you, if you'd like to provide more details.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 17 minutes later
I take to pills atorvastatin 20mg and valsartan.can you name an over the counter drug .Iwant to get the water out of my legs.My doctor says it is not that bad yet.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
only prescription drugs can do that...

Detailed Answer:
I'm afraid I can't!
Only prescription drugs may do that. If your feet are not that swollen that you can't wear your shoes then I would suggest following your doctor's advice. Elevating the legs will help. Keep in mind that diuretics have a lot of untoward effects, so using them without medical indication can be dangerous.

If your doctor agrees you can use a little furosemide which acts very fast but requires care to avoid dehydration and other side effects like hypokalemia.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis