What causes swelling in the face, neck and shoulders after taking steroids?

Oncologist
Question
My mom has cancer she just had brain surgery to get a tumor out she's been having radiation they gave her steroids which he has been taking for some time but after surgery when she started her radiation she's been getting swelling in her face and in her throat and shoulders and they said it's not serious can it be caused by oxycodone or painkillers that she's taken
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

The swelling that you have prescribed for your mother are side effects of steroids that she had used

The painkillers didn’t gave this side effects

Best regards

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the face, neck and shoulders after taking steroids? 32 minutes later
do the painkillers cause the tumors to grow

Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects

Detailed Answer:
No they don’t

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the face, neck and shoulders after taking steroids? 7 minutes later
that was my worry... since she's on steroids when she gets off steroids will it take down the swelling or how long does it stay swollen because it gets worse every day

Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Side effects

Detailed Answer:
If she can’t go off steroids immediately, I'd suggest you consult with her doctor for lowering the dose of steroids

She should be better eventually.

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the face, neck and shoulders after taking steroids? 19 minutes later
oh ok thank u so much for all ur help is there anything I can give her at home to help with the swelling

Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Perhaps you can try with water pills, but please consult her doctor prior to this.