• question-icon

What causes swelling in the eyes along with severe vomiting?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a female generally very healthy AND VERY HEALTHY DIET 68 YEARS OLD, very fair. I haven't had more than a slight cold or allergy to local plants since I moved here to XXXXXXX last year. I know I was bitten by wasp and or mosquitos on my neck face,by my eyes, upper arm,leg, upper back. I had swollen glands on both sides of my neck toward the back, they felt very hard and couldn't turn my head when I went to bed. On waking I discovered my face and eyes swelled up greatly & was fire engine red from base of neck to top of scalp, I had a fever, top of my head at back on both sides, was also swelled up. painfully throbbing. Itchy all over. Vomiting, couldn't keep anything but water and juice down. I did take 1 benadryl a day for the 1st three days. I also had aches in my joints, ie: fingers, elbows, knees that got worse as day went on. My face was even more swelled up the next day, skin was still blood red and skin splitting and peeling. I was in bed with fever and weakness for 2 days. I live alone and do not drive, so just took cool showers and kept a bowl of cold water next to me to dip my wash cloth in for my neck and face. It has been over two weeks ( symptoms started on the 25th of May. After 3 days the swelling went down gradually redness going, several layers literally, of facial skin peeled off. Now still a bit of facial swelling redness almost completely gone, face is still peeling, fever was gone by 3rd evening. joints also stopped at that time, but now have rough skin patches on top of each shoulder and large area below neckline on back, looks like tiny capillaries....what could be wrong? I went to a new Dr and he said sounds like a severe bite reaction, but didn't look at my arms or back. I just started vomiting again after my protien shake the last 3 days. My Dr. had a small blood sample drawn to check my white cell count, won't be back till Monday. Could I have encephalitis or
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Going by the mentioned details you do not seem to have encephalitis or mononucleosis. Rather, it seems either due to a viral or an allergic cause. I would insist you to upload an image of the patches. It will help me to understand the possible cause and to suggest suitable interventions.

I will wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha