What causes swelling in the epididymis?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had been operated for hydrocele 4 years ago but still I have swelling in my epididymis and ductus deferens.
sometimes there is little pain.
I asked the doctors for it ,they gave the medicines but no change is seen.
please tell the medicine and remedy for it.
thank-you
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get Colour doppler of scrotum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Hydrocele is just collection of fluid around the testis.In surgery,the fluid is let out and the secreting layer is removed.It doesn't involve epididymis and ductus deferens.
Colour dipper of the scrotum will give a clue.
If epididymis is enlarged for prolonged period, then it could be Chronic Epididymitis which may take years to resolve inspite of treatment. Tuberculosis is the commonest cause in tropical countries.
You should consult a General surgeon or Urologist, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 6 hours later
is it possible to get treated only by medicine?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have to take medicine only

Detailed Answer:

Only epididymal cyst can be removed by surgery. Epididymitis responds to medicine only. Surgery should not be done.

No surgery for ductus deferens too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 40 minutes later
thankyou Doctor . Any preventive measures to take, and the cause of this disease?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause is difficult to identify.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Most probable cause is bacterial infection of Epididymis.
I am sorry to say that there are no preventive measures.
Some respond to prolonged treatment of Diethylcarbamazine(DEC) given for filarial scrotum.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng