question-icon

What causes swelling in the earlobes?

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017
Question: Hello Doctor, I noticed slight swelling and redness on my right ear outer cavity 2days ago - it was not very prominent and kind of flat. Slowly it seems to be growing like a boil in the center - it feels very soft. I feel slight pain only when I touch the area or stretch my ear, otherwise no pain or discomfort and no other symptom. nothing has bitten or hurt me there as far as I know. I have attached 2 photos of the affected ear and 1 photo of the other good ear, just for comparison purpose. kindly advise if I should see a doctor for this, many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Conchal swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
I have seen the attached pictures.
You have a swelling in the conchal pit of pinna. It usually occurs after a trauma or injury which can be mild to severe.
It is advisable to get it aspirated if there is no pain. If pain is there or it recurs than excision should be done after a course of antibiotics.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist