What causes swelling in the calves?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My calves are swelling. There is no pain but my right calf is more swollen. Any issue to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

If the swelling is not associated with pain ,then i don't feel there is anything to worry about.

Do you take any medications for blood pressure,diabetes etc?
Did you have any history of trauma recently,lifting anything heavy or any strenous activity?

A possibility of deep vein thrombosis needs a consideration.If the deep veins in the calf get blocked by blood clots,then it results in swelling (painless initially).

I suggest you to take anti inflammatory tablets,with leg elevation over a pillow.
Applying a compression bandage around the calf will help.

If this does not help,then you should get color doppler of both legs to rule out deep vein thrombosis.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 10 minutes later
The swelling comes and goes. Never no pain. The only thing that I can think of that may be connected, is the arthritic knees I have.

I do take a medication for high blood pressure, no diabetes though.

No strenuous activity for the last 6 years

By the way, I do wear knee braces during the day - most days too.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be related to arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Well,as you said,this may be related to the knee arthritis.
If the inflammation in the joint increases due to arthritis flare up,then it can cause such swelling.

Another possibility is that the knee braces that you wear may be tight and if you use them for prolonged periods,then it may block the venous blood circulation temporarily.

You should remove the knee braces for 15 minutes after every hour.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy