What causes swelling in the anus?

Posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a small swelling at my anus, what could be the reason? I had hemorrhoids / bloody stool occasionally last year.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The swelling seems to be thrombosed external hemorrhoid

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.

I looked the picture that you sent here and it seems that you have thrombosed external hemorrhoid (external hemorrhoid that has developed a blood clot within itself)

Usually the pain from this condition gets stronger in the first 48 hours,than it starts to reduce. To be healed completely it needs around 2 to 3 or even 4 weeks sometimes. Pain is one of the main symptoms,but it can have other symptoms like itching, burning, swelling or signs of inflammation.

From the picture,it seems that the hemorrhoid is small,so there is no need to do a surgery.
Here are some recommendations to help your body heal faster...
-get enough fibers in your diet
-have plenty of water/fluids
-light exercise,like yoga,a walk in the park ect
-ibuprofen 400 mg twice per day for the pain
- a topical anesthetic such as a hemorrhoid cream can help with the healing process.
-avoid spicy foods,alcohol,especially red wine

I suggest,you consult a proctologist (a colo-rectal surgeon) to determine the grade of the internal hemorrhoids. Since in the past you have had bloody stool,maybe it is time to consult an expert. He will perform a digital rectal exam and/or an anoscopy which is a simple medical procedure to identify hemorrhoids.

If you have any other questions,don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you the best.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon