What causes swelling in the anus along with constipation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
After years of silence and embarrassment, I decided to Send to you the attached photo and ask about a non-surgical treatment. Can an ointment remove these bulgy swells?
Sorry to have pictured it witn a Fucidine ointment on.
Difficulty of bowel movement, feel of narrow anal hole and thus slim stool pcs are most of the time.
1 day ago in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No local ointment can help remove these bulges.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and photos.

I can understand the embarrassment one has and this is also a cause of such advancement of the disease.

The photos indicate these to be prolapsing hemorrhoids.

But what wonders is the difficulty in passing stool, feeling narrow anal canal and slim stool.

This makes it mandatory for a proper per-rectal digital examination, ano-proctoscopy preferably by a General Surgeon and an appointment for colonoscopy to rule out any problem proximally.

I do not think any ointment can remove such bulges and at the same time, it is necessary to get an exact diagnosis to have a proper plan of management.

Till then I would advise you the following:
Take a stool softener and laxative to keep the stool soft.
Sitz bath in a tub with warm water, before and after passing stools.
Please stop applying anything locally.
Increase fiber contents in diet and take plenty of oral fluids.

Once investigated, please give me feedback so that I can guide you further.

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the anus along with constipation? 29 minutes later
Are you considering Cancer???

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can not say for sure unless an examination

Detailed Answer:
Although too big a question I'd suggest not to worry.

From the present picture that you have posted, this does not look to be cancer. But the ultimate diagnosis by the tests as mentioned above.