• question-icon

What causes swelling in the ankles which is very painful and uncomfortable?

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: My feet and ankles are very swollen - this has only happened once before about 5 yrs ago. Started on Wednesday and it's a little painful and VERY uncomfortable. I had an annual exam back in May and everything checked out ok. I just started a new job sitting at a desk/computer after a year's "layoff". I'm 55yrs old and otherwise in decent health (a bit overweight).
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few possible causes

Detailed Answer:

In your age in most cases this happens due to venous insufficiency. This can be treated with elastic stockings, keeping legs elevated, avoiding long sitting or standing and regulation of your body mass.

If this persists then it would be good to do a Doppler ultrasound of the legs to see if there are varicose veins and then even surgery can be considered.

Second, less common causes are heart and kidneys dysfunction but it would have some other symptoms and it would be detected in annual exam earlier. But, it would be good anyway to check creatinine levels, reduce salt intake and if there are heart palpitations or chest pain, do an ECG and a heart ultrasound.

Last, if swelling becomes progressive then lymphedema may be an underlying cause and this can be treated by therapeutic ultrasound and massage.

A sedentary job may definitely worsen the symptoms and it would be good to walk a few minutes every 30-60 minutes during your work.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein
General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon