What causes swelling in the ankles and feet?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Hi
For the past 4 weeks I have had swelling of my ankles and feet. I am 59 years old and have never had these symptoms before. It is made worse by standing It is made better by walking and having feet elevated. I am elevating feet at night and it is mostly resolved by morning. Then during the day swelling returns with pitting edema. I am a retired nurse. what do you think these symptoms are related to?
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
The commonest causes I can think about a pitting edema in both feet and ankles, that reduces by morning and made worse by standing can be as follows:
General causes can be: anemia, hypoproteinemia.
Any problems related to Kidney and Heart.
Local causes can be varicose veins.
In many cases causes may not be found with certainty.
In such cases the toes are spared; but in lymphedema the toes also get the swelling.
Hence I would advise the following in such a case:
Get the blood tests for CBC, kidney functions, Serum proteins
Urine test
Clinical evaluation by a Doctor for getting to know the probable cause, correlate with the investigations to get started on an appropriate management. Also go for cardiac evaluation.
Color doppler of the lower limbs for venous studies as well as to see whether the inguinal lymph nodes are involved or not.
Continue elevation of lower limbs, reduce salt intake.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to give the feedback, the reports and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the ankles and feet? 16 minutes later
I have taken some pictures of my feet ankles and legs to assist in diagnosis

How to I send them to you?

Thank you for your advice.. Our insurance plan is changing on XXXXXXX 1 2018. I need to find and internist to go to. I am trying to attach some pictures I have taken. Any idea how I can submit them?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YYYY@YYYY

Detailed Answer:
You can upload images/reports with the help of the 'Upload' feature available on the right side of your page. Alternatively you can send to YYYY@YYYY
Awaiting.