What causes swelling in right tonsil and sticking of adjacent tissues?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I am 23 years old and have been smoking weed regularly since age 17. I recently noticed my uvula is stuck to my right tonsil, which is also swollen, My left tonsil is fine. A doctor at a walk-in clinic suggested this could likely be an infection and prescribed antibiotics. However, I do not have a fever, or any other symptom of infection. I only have a swollen right tonsil. I will begin to take my antibiotics, but I am concerned that this could be something else. I have quit smoking since I noticed this. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is more likely a infection or inflmaation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concern.

I understand that there is no fever or other constitutional symptoms of fever but swelling and sticking of adjacent tissues with another indicates inflammation which is most likely due to infection at your age. Considering this I feel using antibiotics may help.

Having aid this there is possibility that the swelling will come down in next two three days without antibiotics use as many a times the infection is viral which is self limiting in most cases and disappear in three to seven days.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response Dr. XXXXXXX I have added images of my throat. I can tell the inflammation has slightly reduced over the past two days, but when I touch my neck I can still feel a hard little "ball" about the size of the tip of my finger. I hope this is just a natural inflammation of the tonsil and not an irregular tissue growth of some sort. I still do not have any symptoms of infection, but I will continue to take my antibiotics as prescribed for two more days. Please look at the pictures and tell me what you think. Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is evidence of infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I examined the attached pictures and feel there is enough indication for bacterial infection. Having said this the it can be said that prescription of antibiotics was appropriate.

I feel in next two-three days it will be clear completely with continued antibiotic use.

Regarding that hard ball over neck it is probably lymph node which got enlarged due to infection. Although lymph node take more time to disappear or return o their previous size but it should not be a concern as this is natural following any infection.

I hope this assists you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.