What causes swelling in right leg below knee after standing?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a diabetic and I was standing about 30 minutes without pain. Every thing was completely normal. When I sat down the lower part of my right leg all the way down to my foot was swollen. I propped my leg on some pillows. The majority of the swelling went down except the lower part of my leg. I have a red knot that is hard on the lower part of my right leg that was painless. Now the knot is still there and is still a little swollen but it's a little tender to touch. It's been about 5 days and the knot hasn't changed in size. It's still about the size of a half dollar coin. It's not an insect bite and I haven't had any fever.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be hematoma

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think that nodule can be collection of blood in the leg. It is called hematoma. I would suggest you to follow these steps.
1. Get ultrasound of the nodule to confirm the diagnosis.
2.Hot water fomentation.
3. Compression bandage.
4. Avoid prolong standing or long duration walk.
5. Keep your sugar under control.
If knot is increasing in size than you can also add antibiotics with it.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. Let me know if there is any other follow up questions.
Thanks