What causes swelling in right knee after reducing the Magnesium dosage?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. Im XXXXXXX 27. I just recently started taking a low dosage of magnesium glycinate (120 mg 2-3 times a day). Since then, the condition of my right knee has started to go bad. Slight swelling, i can feel the bones crunch together sometimes. I have no medical need for magnesium, though i believe i could be deficient and that i wanted to prevent osteo arthritis of the knee as my grandmother has it and i am afraid of it being hereditary. Yet it seems that magnesium has actually GIVEN me osteo arthritis! Im not sure what to do. Can anyone help?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effects of drug

Detailed Answer:
good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

Oh I am not sure who recommended you magnesium as a preventive measure for osteoarthritis. It is not recommended anywhere and such. Little bit crunching sounds can happen but I don't think your osteoarthritis has set in yet.

Stop the medicine and get the X ray for the knee joint done in standing position.

If the pain is too much, prevent sitting cross legged or on the floor..

The only thing which can help prevent osteoarthritis is good amount of exercise for quadriceps and preventing stressful postures for the knees.

But for the knee swelling, take some anti inflammatory like celecoxib for a couple of days. we don't expect swelling to come up in osteoarthritis joints. I hope you didn't twist it somewhere. but if the swelling persists do consult a rheumatologist and get it sorted, it shouldnt be something else which we are missing

I hope the information was useful

do let me know for more queries

regards
Dr naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj