What causes swelling in right groin and left foot after an aortobifemoral bypass?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've recently had aortobifemoral bypass. i developed an infection and had another surgery to remove infevtion. currently I'm on numerous meds and a wound vac. I've noticed that i have swelling that is slowly increasing by my right groin, almost directly under the stitches. my left foot and ankle is badly swollen. i have no clue about the groin area. there is no pain, doesn't feel like and infection but rather more solid. it does not cause pain. I'm wondering if it could be a hernia. any suggestions? my email is YYYY@YYYY . thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Does the swelling increase in dimensions while coughing or physical exertion? This could indicate possible hernia.

But another possibility to consider would be deep vein thrombosis or an aneurysm of the femoral artery.

I recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing an ultrasound of the soft tissues in this region, coupled with a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels to rule in/out deep vein thrombosis or an aneurysm of the femoral artery.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri