What causes swelling in outer ear and red streak from the ear?
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.
Your symptoms are concerning for an infection, possibly shingles (herpes virus) or another viral or bacterial agent. A physical examination is needed to definitively evaluate any skin changes in the area and to determine the cause of the swelling and redness. The "knot" likely
represents a swollen lymph node. Otitis externa (outer ear infection) is also a consideration, however the red linear streak across the face is an unusual presentation. It would be very reasonable to see your physician for an evaluation. It is important to monitor these symptoms because some viral infections can involve the nerves in the face and near the ear and cause severe chronic pain.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of ear swelling
- What causes tenderness redness and swelling in the ear
- Outer ear pain causes
- Outer ear infection causes
- Swelling behind ear causes
- Swelling in ears what is the cause
- What causes numbness on the outer ear
- What causes an ear infections
- What cause of ear lobe is swelling
- What causes sore outer ears