What causes swelling in outer ear and red streak from the ear?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hey i have a swollen ear twice its normal size on the outer ear and very red and there is a red streak from my ear across my cheek and a knot in the gland under my ear?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

Your symptoms are concerning for an infection, possibly shingles (herpes virus) or another viral or bacterial agent. A physical examination is needed to definitively evaluate any skin changes in the area and to determine the cause of the swelling and redness. The "knot" likely
represents a swollen lymph node. Otitis externa (outer ear infection) is also a consideration, however the red linear streak across the face is an unusual presentation. It would be very reasonable to see your physician for an evaluation. It is important to monitor these symptoms because some viral infections can involve the nerves in the face and near the ear and cause severe chronic pain.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad