What causes swelling in neck post a red blister?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Light swelling in neck for about a month after a shiny red blister at bottom of ear. Blister never came to a head, it just receded into my skin I guess. I squeezed it very hard tryng to get it to a head, but it just slowly went away. I had tender, swollen lymph nodes for a week that went away after this. My ENT said that it was probably folliculitis and that my lymphnodes were not swollen anymore. The spot now has a red scar with a purple 1mm dot in the center. The black dot popped when I squeezed it a day ago but only a little blood came out.

So light swelling near blister for 3-4 weeks now that hasn't appeared to change one way or the other. Swelling is probably only about a centimeter larger than the other side of neck under/in front of ear. I do live in a region with brown recluse spiders among other species.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing depends on immunity..

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

It is an impetigo contagiosa...now in healing stage. You need not to worry. The swelling you feel may reduce slowly.

I think, initially you might have insect bite,that lead to blister and that is followed by secondary bacterial infection causing impetigo.

I think, you have taken proper treatment and that is why the lympnodes which were swollen, now became normal and the the lesion is also healing.

Your query is related with swelling, why it occured and why it lasted for long time?

Swelling usually occur,when there is bacterial infection. After proper intake of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs,it is reduced gradually. After clearance of infection, the swelling,that may be due to inflammation might take some time for reduction. That may vary from patient to patient depending on the immunological status.

I would like to advise you for complete body check up to rule out any internal disease like DM,HIV,anaemia,other blood diseases or internal diseases. For that you consult physician.

I hope you can understand my views..still, any query ..you may ask.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari