What causes swelling in navel?

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: hello, my belly button swollen since last week, not sure the cause. I am feeling ok, no fever etc. what do you think happens
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Umbilical granuloma or hernia

Detailed Answer:
HI.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.

The commonest causes of swollen belly button seen in day-to-day's practice are as follows:
- Hernia
- Granuloma meaning development of a small mass with inflammation.
- as a part of umbilical fistula.

If the swelling is in the belly button, does not cause pain and can be reduced back without any discomfort, which pops on coughing but easily reducible, this may be an umbilical hernia.

If the pain develops in a known hernia, this is indicative of obstruction

If the swelling does not increase or reduce on coughing and straining, it is possibly a granuloma. If may cause pain, and/or gives discharge of pus and blood on infection.

I hope this answers your query,
Please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication.

You may please give feedback about anything additional; you would like to share.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
hello Doctor,

well, I've looked again my belly however its not swollen but pain and soar and little redness inside. is there any different?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
granuloma

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.

Not much of a difference, As per your history there is pain, soreness and little redness inside. This is indicative of an umbilical granuloma, a mild inflammation or infection.

Would you like to try something at home or see a Doctor?

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
thanks for prompt reply. I just wonder what the caused of it?

also, yes, I would like to try some home and see doctor both.

any suggestion for trying something home?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clean with Hydrogen peroxide and liquid povidone iodine.

Detailed Answer:
The commonest cause is that the dead skin remains there and acts as a foreign body to cause this problem.

You can try a simple thing at home.
Clean the umbilicus with hydrogen peroxide, it will remove the material out of the umbilicus. Do not worry if it bleeds a bit. Clean thoroughly.
This may expose a red granuloma, clean over it too.
Apply liquid Povidone iodine at the end. NO ointment please.

Repeat this for a few days and your problem may go off.

Consult a Doctor if you can not clean the area, or bleeding and pus or internal infection is more.
You may then need a small course of prescription based antibiotic and other medicines as per the clinical evaluation and cleaning by a Doctor.
Rarely a small surgery may be needed if the granuloma is large.

You may please rate this answer before closure of the discussion and can certainly contact me on the bellow link in future, whenever you may need me.
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
thanking you for your answer and advice. I will let you know again. and yes, I keep your website link.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome.
Please rate the answer before you close the thread.
Follow the instructions and you shall be alright.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon