What causes swelling in lower limbs of a person with normal BP?
the other doctor said there was no blood clot and there was no heart problem. I have not been flying nor standing for more than two hours and was fine that evening but upon waking up I noticed both feet and ankles were very swollen with a burning sensation to the outside of both ankles about 1 inch above the ankle bone
Can be associated with hypertension and heart failure commonly
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.
1. Swelling in both lower limb is commonly seen in patients with hypertension due to back pressure from right side of heart (Right heart failure). This could be the reason, heart problems, had been thought of initially.
2. Its due to reduced venous return in lower limb and fluid moving out due to increased hydrostatic pressure and edema and hence swelling of limb.
3. 2-3 pillows below legs overnight, so that limb is above level of heart will reduce swelling. If persistent, then only diuretics like frusemide will be necessary.
4. Standing or sitting for longer duration can induce or increase swelling. If the swelling is present for longer duration, it can damage skin and cause itching and ulcer formation. At present, the cause must be limb in lower position for longer duration with reduced movement.
5. Reduced venous return is the main cause for swelling. It will reduce with limb elevation and frusemide. If painful, then deep vein thrombosis or blood clot needs to be ruled out.
6. Good to know, Doppler for thrombus is negative. Continue with limb elevation and diuretics like complete reduction of swelling.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of high bp and how to lower it
- What causes persistent high bp
- What causes fluctuate bp
- What causes increase in bp despite on bp medication
- What causes low bp
- What causes spike in bp level
- What causes low bp in a child
- What causes high bp
- What causes high bp how to lower it
- What causes spike in bp at noon