What causes swelling in lower legs and headache?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello I have swelling from the knees down to my feet (intermittent) I have also gained about 50-60 lbs in the last year. and my stomach was flat since I exercised often in the past. It is now big has gotten bloated and round. My stomach just keeps growing bigger. I at times get a throbbing headache. I did have a fall that I hurt my knee and have not been able to exercise for about a year and a half. Before my fall I did step aerobics to manage my weight. Since my fall I have not done exercise. I'm concerned about my health.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to get your blood pressure and thyroid functions checked!!!

Detailed Answer:
I warmly Welcome you here to HCM and want to assure you that you have landed the best health portal available online.

I have carefully worked through your case and can well realize your genuine medical concerns. This is called TRUNCAL or CENTRAL OBESITY. It is the worst form of obesity and is one of the reasons for diabetes, hypertension and their bad effects on health.

Headache and leg swellings warrant a screening for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Also you need a thorough evaluation regarding thyroid profile.

Tests needed:-
CBC with ESR and Differentials.
Thyroid profile.
Fasting Sugar and HbA1c levels.
Fasting lipid profile.

Also keep a record of your blood pressure twice daily. When you get the lab test results, and make a week's chart of blood pressure recordings, you may upload here for my review and detailed medical advice on that. You can also ask your Primary care Physician to go for these screening tests and thorough physical examination.

Get your knee joint checked from an Orthopedist for management so that you may be able to go for physical activity. You need to lose weight for the best of your health. Every pound you lose, will cause a relief from your symptoms. Until you get better on joints, Keep doing stretch exercises and yoga just to lose calories.

Take a balanced and healthy diet. Avoid junk fried foods, beverages, alcohol, Caffeinated drinks, energy drinks, chocolates etc. Take more of vegetables, fruits and salads. Fish is good for proteins and Salmon is the best one. Avoid excess red meat.

Hope it helps. Please feel free to contact me anytime directly from my profile if you need further assistance. Click my direct link for future reference :- tinyurl.com/drhanifmd

Regards!
DR.HANIF
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T