What causes swelling in legs and rash on calves?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: i have unusual swelling of my feet, ankles and calves. A burning red rough rash on my calves. almost to the point of rupture and bleeding. I am a long haul truck driver and no where near a pharmacy or hospital / Dr. office. I am in a truck stop in Onley, IL. and not sure what to do at this point. The rash was seen by a Dr. about a week ago but the swelling has occurred within a couple days. The swelling is bad enough to cut off circulation when I flex my foot. Is this life threatening and should I seek emergency help?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just received your query. Go seek immediate help at ER.

Detailed Answer:

I have just received your email.

I have gone through your medical history carefully and I admit you need emergency help.

Urgent ultrasound of the blood vessels in your legs are needed together with an urine analysis to exclude thrombophlebitis and kidney disease.

Until you go to ER, apply cold compresses locally and continue anti itching medication (antihistaminic).

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana