• question-icon

What causes swelling in legs and altered taste while on Losartan?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had a lot of swelling in my feet and legs that taking 40 mg of Lasix for about a week did nothing to help. My doctor then gave me 5 mg of Metolazone, and taking it for 4 days I was dehydrated. I did not realize what was happening and by the 5th day I was in really bad shape. I started sipping on gatorade and it made me feel normal again. All the swelling was gone. About 5-6 days later it started coming back. At that point I took 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide and continued taking my regular blood pressure medicine
50 mg of Losartan Potassium (a new medicine that I had just begun the week I started taking 40mg of Lasix. My insurance no longer covered Diovan 80 mg that I had been taking for 18 years after the 1st of 2016. The swelling has been gradually been building again and I've gained 5 pounds in a week, although, I have not been consuming any more than 1200-1300 calories daily. I am short, just under 5 feet and a 68 year old female. I can usually maintain weight by eating 1500 calories daily. Yesterday, everything I ate started tasting extremely salty. What is happening to me?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Losartan is known to cause alteration in taste

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

Losartan is a very good medicine but is known for causing taste disturbances.That is likely to be the cause of the alteration in taste. Losartan is otherwise a good alternative for Diovan (Valsartan).

I need to know your blood pressure and whether the problems started after any specific alteration in condition, for example change in medication.

I will await your response.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha