• question-icon

What causes swelling in knees, legs and fingers along with sinus infection?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Over the past 4 weeks I have developed sudden swelling of knees and legs, also two of my fingers gradually started to swell. I also started getting colds (2) one of which I developed a sinus infection right after and the other,more recent, developed some pnemonia. Blood tests are normal for lyme, CRP very high,autoimmune,rheumatoid. My legs are slightly less swollen this week but I'm in constant pain from them. I had ultrasound of both legs and no DVTs. Also had normal echocardiogram. What are your suggestions?

Blood tests were all normal so far except high CRP level. I', taking levoquin for the pnemonia and just tylenol for pain
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Reactive arthritis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your joint swellings are likely to be due to reactive arthritis. This follows certain bacterial infections by certain organisms like Chlamydia and atypical organisms.
There's nothing to worry. Once your infection is cured, the arthritis will resolve gradually.
You can take a NSAID like ibuprofen for the arthritis till then.
Dr. Noble Zachariah