What causes swelling in eyelids, ankles and high BP in a ANA patient?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lupus
Question: I was recently sent to rheumotologist because I was ANA positive. He said it was such a low positive he wouldn't of sent me. I went to an allergist, he said I have eczema. I was told by my primary care that I have Psoriasis. I finally saw the dermatologist this week. She said I have contact dermatitis, initially cause by allergic reaction causing my eyelids to swell. Now my ankles are swollen, my blood pressure is up (145/90) oozing (they have been for months) fluids from my ankles and I am plain miserable. Could there be an underlying cause to this. Prednisdone has been the only thing that has helped and My doctor won't give me any more.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see your doctor again

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
If you have ankle swelling and high blood pressure then you probably need an echocardiogram to make sure your heart is okay. The eczema/dermatitis/psoriasis problem should not cause ankle swelling, though all of them could cause a rash. The fact that prednisone has helped in the past makes me concerned that there is some allergic/inflammatory process going on. If your heart is okay then the rheumatologist or allergist may need to do further testing to look for some underlying autoimmune disorder.
I hope you find an answer soon,
Dr. Robinson