• question-icon

What causes swelling in buttocks and fever after a hormone shot?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Got my monthly hormone shot 2 weeks ago in my right butt cheek. Swollen, knotted up, running fewer on it. Hurting all down my right leg
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Injection site reaction, thrombophob ointment, ibuprofen

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.

Based on the information provided by you it appears that it is injection site reaction or cellulitis. But in picture that you have uploaded, the site is not visible.

Presently I would suggest you to apply hot compresses at least 3 to 4 times a day and along with it apply Thrombophob ointment (heparin sodium) variant locally 1 week.
To address the pain and inflammation I would suggest you to take over the counter anti inflammatory pill Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food, for 3 days.

Kindly follow these measure for 2-3 days, if it does not resolve, I would suggest you to see z general surgeon, who on examination, if required will go for incision and drainage.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Harish Naik