• question-icon

    What causes swelling at the back of the ear?

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Lump
Question: I have discovered a small swelling at the back of the right ear that is agonising to the touch. What should I do? I think it has started bleeding a bit.

Please note I have taken a picture of the area and attached it to help you with the diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific and the picture.
Noted your present history, medical history, current medications and seen the picture.
Please re-post a clear and focused picture if possible.
A small swelling at the back of ear with agonizing tenderness is definitely suggestive of an abscess with cellulitis and may be chondritis by its location as you have mentioned, bleeding a bit indicates that the abscess might have opened a bit.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Clinical evaluation and examination.
Request for a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Apply Liquid Povidone Iodine locally to make the skin sterile and apply sterile bandage.
Consult an ENT Surgeon to see if the cartilage is also involved and to get the proper incision and drainage done if required.

Continue rest of the medications as before and have review of the medical problems as you have mentioned.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 18105 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Chondritis

doctor1 MD

One doctor said I have acid reflux. After many medications I went to another doctor. He says I have Costochondritis which sounds right. However, I...

doctor1 MD

My upper body feels like it is burning. When this has happend in the past my doctor has said it is costochondritis. However I must mention that my...

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 26yr old female. I have some sort of condition that no-one seems to be able to diagnose. I have had this for 7 years (since the birth...

doctor1 MD

I have costochondritis on the right rib cage, I have bronchitis and coughed earlier heard a pop sound right lower rib (where the costochondritis...

doctor1 MD

Hi dr xxxxxxxx as requested I had blood panel done and they came back normal no signs of heart attack or enzymes I have a stress test set up...

doctor1 MD

Hello this is somewhat a continuation question for Dr Sharka .. with all the tests I have done in the last year as well as the most recent I was...

doctor1 MD

Hello this question is for de sharka I have had several tests done on cardiac for my chest pain all negative results last week I had ecg and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

163 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. T Chandrakant
  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe

  • Q - Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones

  • Q - What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for gastritis

  • Q - What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?

  • Q - What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?

  • Q - What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?

  • Q - What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?

  • Q - What does this EKG report indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis