• question-icon

What causes swelling at the back of the ear?

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Lump
Question: I have discovered a small swelling at the back of the right ear that is agonising to the touch. What should I do? I think it has started bleeding a bit.

Please note I have taken a picture of the area and attached it to help you with the diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific and the picture.
Noted your present history, medical history, current medications and seen the picture.
Please re-post a clear and focused picture if possible.
A small swelling at the back of ear with agonizing tenderness is definitely suggestive of an abscess with cellulitis and may be chondritis by its location as you have mentioned, bleeding a bit indicates that the abscess might have opened a bit.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Clinical evaluation and examination.
Request for a course of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Apply Liquid Povidone Iodine locally to make the skin sterile and apply sterile bandage.
Consult an ENT Surgeon to see if the cartilage is also involved and to get the proper incision and drainage done if required.

Continue rest of the medications as before and have review of the medical problems as you have mentioned.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon