What causes swelling around the ear post placement of braces?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My 14 year old granddaughter got braces on her top teeth about 10 days ago. Now she has swelling in front and behind her ear. Took her to urgent care and does not appear to be infection. Is this common from braces and is it dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not common after braces..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain swelling infront and behind the ear are not a common finding after placing braces..

It can be probably swollen lymph nodes that are commonly due to infection..

However if infection is not suspected, you should get an x ray or MRI scan done so that the exact cause is ruled out and treated accordingly..

As of now you can continue doing cool compresses and if there is pain anti inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac can be given..

As of now it does not seems dangerous and correct status can be ruled out after radiographic investigations and a complete blood picture..

Any further questions are welcome..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 26 minutes later
thank you, I was hoping it was just the braces but guess I better have her seen by dentist and doctor tomorrow. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Less chances of it being due to braces..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per your query there are less chances of the swelling of being due to braces and more probable cause is infection.
Consult her Orthodontist and get her evaluated..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj