What causes swelling around lower ear and lower jaw?
It can be TMJ infection / inflammation
Hi! Welcome to health care magic!
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.
Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to inflammation of Temporomendibular joint or any soft tissue infection of external ear which is also compromising the movement of this joint. But she needs a detailed evaluation by an orthopedician or a maxilofacial surgeon. Radiographs of this joint and ultrasound of the soft tissue may be needed.
Associated external ear examination should also be considered to look for extent of inflammation but in short, it shouldn't be ignored and should be timely investigated.
Meanwhile using analgesics like acetaminophen for pain and warm compresses may help.
Restrict the movement of the joint and use fluids and soups for energy requirements.
Antibiotics usage should be considered only after clinical review and examination by the surgeons.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itchy ears
- Causes of ear swelling
- What causes tenderness redness and swelling in the ear
- What causes pain in both the ears and jaw
- Swelling behind ear causes
- What causes recurrent swelling below the ear on jaw line
- Swelling in ears what is the cause
- What causes an ear infections
- What causes sudden sweating with swelling and itching in ears
- What cause of ear lobe is swelling