What causes swelling around a fistula?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Lump
Question: hI MY SON HAD SURGERY ABOUT 4 YRS AGO DO TO AN INJURY UNDER HIS RIGHT EYE. THE SURGERY WAS AN EMBOLIZATION ON A ARTERIOVENOUS FISTULA. he is now concerned because he has swelling that is tender to the touch and he feels pulsating. this swelling is not in the exact area that the fistula was in. it is lower down on the cheek bone. Is he developing a second fistula?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increased venous pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Swelling around a fistula sight is most often because of increased venous pressure within the fistula causing a swelling. He will need to see a vascular surgeon as soon as possible to get a fistulectomy more so because it is very close to the eye.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Is there anything he can do for the swelling now? Can this effect his eye sight?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to effect his eye sight

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

It is unlikely to affect his eye sight however since I have not examined him it is difficut to tell.
He can get regular dressing with Magnesium sulfate, this will reduce the swelling up to an extent. Surgical removal is the preferred treatment of choice