What causes swelling and stiffness of knee post knee replacement?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 67year old white female, 180 lb. On May 9 I had a total right knee replacement. as of July29, my leg is still very swelled, right knee measured 16 inches, left knee is 14 in. I can't say it hurts, but when I walk it is uncomfortable on the out side of the knee. It is hard for me to bend my knee. I have been going to PT 3 times a week, and they have not been able to get it back to a normal flat position, no matter how much pressure or how hard they press on it. At PT there is a lady, about my age, who had her knee done a month after me and she has compled PT. I have PT for 1 1/2 hours 3 times a week.
I'v seen the surgen 10 days after surgery and at 6 weeks. Then he felt everthing was fine. Should I contact my dr, or give it more time? Thank you for your time. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry give it more time

Detailed Answer:

It is not unusual to having some swelling and stiffness after total right knee. replacement. Do not worry give it more time. Continue doing physiotherapy exercises.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery..

Warm regards.