What causes swelling and sores inside the labia while on antibiotics?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi.. I just had a kidney infection and I am on antibiotics. Today my labia started swelling and there are painless sores on the inside of my labia. My labia are only sore from the swelling.. there is a little discharge from my vagina...there are 4 of the spots and some are a dark and scabby looking and the others are just white.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE UPLOAD PICTURES AND MORE DETAILS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
THanks for writing to us with your health concern.
I would request you to upload pictures of the lesions.
Also, let me know if you have had such breakouts earlier ?
If sexually active, are you and your partner screened for STDs ?
Please do write back with these details.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 42 minutes later
It is very swollen and there is pus now white pus coming from the sores. I haven't gotten tested for stds for a while, but I am positive my boyfriend does not cheat on me. we have been monogamous for two and a half years now. my last pap was a year ago and it was fine. I never have had breakouts before. the sores are not painful, just the swelling is. the swelling is warm to the touch too. the top ones are white and the bottom are black. I do not have any other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE TEST FOR HERPES

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have seen the picture, and they look like canker sores.
ANd you have been on antibiotics, which supports it.
However, herpes is by far the most common culprit causing such sores.
I would ask you to visit a clinic and get the sores sampled and tested for herpes.
Meanwhile, have protected sex and take a multivitamin supplement.
Do not self medicate without the testing first.