What causes swelling and soreness in throat?
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
The most common cause is a an upper respiratory tract infection. The associated inflammation and exudate leads to the symptoms of pain and swelling of the involved region e.g tonsils, pharynx. NSAIDs like ibuprofen, saline gargles and antihistamines such as levocetirizine can be used for symptomatic relief. Antibiotics can be advised if bacterial infection is suspected on clinically. Throat swab for rapid strep test and culture sensitivity testing should be done to guide the choice of antibiotics.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sore and painful throat
- What causes soreness and congestion in throat
- What causes sore and swollen throat
- What is the cause of swelling near the throat
- What virus causes sore throat
- What causes swelling and soreness in throat
- What is the cause of the recurring sore throat
- What causes soreness in throat and the remedy
- Toothache sore throat whats the cause
- What causes sore throat and cough