What causes swelling and redness on the leg post a tibial plateau fracture?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had extensive surgery due to a tibial plateau fracture...screws and titanium plates in late September. I am still experiencing severe swelling in the injured leg with warmth and some redness. I have been using compression stockings but they just seem to irritate the skin and do not seem to be helping the swelling. Am I far enough along to not be concerned about a blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please begin with 2 aspirin pills /day and do blood investigations and Doppler U/S

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Mrs . XXXXXXX
I'm Dr Ahmed Aly,
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion, in any surgery involving fixations requires the very good care of the hematological state pre, intra and as well as post operative treatments of thrombolytics .

From your given history, there wasn't any mention of any kind of such drugs. So, I think you may need a Doppler Ultrasonography to rule out any kind of clot or DVT ( deep vein thrombosis) which is a very common and severe complication, please discuss with your physician about it.

For now, 2 aspirin pills after breakfast will be fine till you do your blood investigations like CBC , INR , PT , aPTT to make sure you are in the safe zone (please get them done at the earliest to be on the safer side).

Keep on gentle massaging and elevation to prevent any further swelling .

Hope this was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications, feel free to ask.
Best Wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee