What causes swelling and redness on hand after mosquito bite?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 10 year old son was stung on the top of the hand about 36 hours ago. This was the first time he had ever been stung by a bee or wasp. Initially, it reacted similar to a mosquito bite, smaller than a dime. However, now 36 hours later, the top of his hand is swollen and red. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Angioedema or Cellulitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It could be angioedema or a cellulitis.

Please answer these questions -

1. Does he have severe pain in the area?
2. Does he have any fever?
3. Is there any tenderness in the region?

Skin conditions are best diagnosed only after seeing directly. I suggest you to upload photographs of the same on this website, so that I can guide you scientifically.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 36 minutes later
No pain even when I touch it. Low grade fever <100F .
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might be angioedema due to sting - please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hi....by what you quote I feel that it could be an angioedema as there is not tenderness or high grade fever.

You can give Syrup Benadryl 7.5ml thrice a day for 2 days and observe.

But....if -
1. There's high grade fever.
2. The swelling is rapidly increasing in size.
3. There is tenderness on touch.
4. If the local area is hot to touch than rest of the body.
5. There is intense redness in local area.

You need to see a physician immediately as these are the signs of cellulitis or skin and soft tissue infection.

Please upload an imageo that I can guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth