What causes swelling and redness on foot post injury?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I managed to kick a pencil in between my pinkie toe and its neighboring toe. I cleaned the wound, applied bacitracin and then vaseline thereafter. The wound seemed almost completely healed in 4-5 days. Now, I am experiencing swelling on the top of my foot with a little pinkness. The cut is not leaking, the top of my foot is not hot and the swelling isn't walking up my leg. Ice is being applied periodically during the day. My foot is the least swollen in the morning, but still sore and tight when curling my toes. What other steps do I need to take to heal and get the swelling to stop? Possible infection?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to wait and see.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As the wound was not large, however quite deep, you are not able to see the whole injury. Pencil could reach the deeper parts of the foot including muscles and tendons. If so, the healing process will take some time. It does not seem infected.
The swelling you have is most likely caused by inflammation of deeper soft tissues. Usually such inflammation lasts like for few weeks. During that time there is nothing you can do about it except icing it and keeping the foot higher when lying down (like on the pillow). And try to not overload the foot.

If after few weeks, the swelling will be still present, please consult your doctor and have soft tissues ultrasound done. There is always a chance that a part of the pencil could be left in the tissues.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.