question-icon

What causes swelling and red ring formation around insect bite?

Posted on Wed, 3 Aug 2016
Question: I got bit 7 times by an insect yesterday and usually I get a big round ring around the bite and red circle marks in the middle.It warms up and itches very much. Why do i get this reaction and I do not get normal mosquito bites either.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This reaction is normal, depends on the immune response of the individual

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photograph and your reaction to insect bite seems absolutely normal.
The swelling and red ring formation occurs in some individuals following insect bite depending on the immune response of the person which varies from individual to individual.
That's why this kind of reaction in your case.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist